Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Weekend in Asheville!


Asheville, NC is said to be a Southern town similar to Boulder, CO. Charlie booked a weekend in the French Broad River Log Cabin in the Appalachian mountains, not too far away from Asheville. On Saturday, Charlie and I went into Asheville and explored the funky mountain town. We ate an amazing breakfast at Tupelo Honey Cafe (where they serve you a buttermilk biscuit before your large plate of breakfast arrives) and stumbled into a live benefit concert for the homeless. Then, I was enamored with the idea of walking to the newly refurbished river arts district and Charlie entertained the idea, so we began walking, walking... and walking. Finally, we kindly stopped a family walking the opposite direction and when we asked how far the river was...they looked at us very strangely and said, "No, you are not close at all." Much to my chagrin and Charlie's coy "I told you so look", we turned around. Oh well, at least we went for a little walk (or shall I say BIG walk).

Saturday night my little kid brother drove in from Charlotte, NC to meet us and go rafting (or shall I say floating) on the French Broad River. Being on the water was great! My brother and I realized that we are rather spoiled, because the rafting in Colorado is perhaps some of the best (and most challenging) rapids in the nation. So, while the class three rapids on the French Broad were fun, they did not activate the adrenalin.

Monday, Charlie and I toured the grand Biltmore estate, complete with wine tasting and a walk through the incredible gardens. The history of the largest house in the U.S. is pretty amazing, George Vanderbilt (one of the wealthiest dudes in the U.S. in the late 19th century) commissioned architect Richard Morris Hunt to design the house modeled on the three châteaux built in 16th-century France. Two rooms in the house stood out: 1.) the two-tiered dark wood paneled library was to die for (both Charlie and I experienced love at first sight as we sauntered into the posh library) and 2.) the eccentric banquet hall (dining room) laden with flags from the thirteen colonies, family crests, Flemish tapestries from the 16th century, wood carvings, and a grandiose dining table (seating up to 64 people) was one of the most miss-matched rooms I have laid my eyes upon. Come to find out, Mr. Vanderbilt was said to be one of the most well-read individuals of his time. So, it is understandable why the library was built with such beauty and intention and for the banquet hall, well every eccentric piece in that hall was based upon Vanderbilt's deep cultural capital. For example, the wood carvings were from his favorite opera.

Charlie and I finished up our long weekend trip with tea at the Dobra Teahouse in Asheville. Back to Athens...

**Boo, I forgot my camera on this trip, hence the reason there are no candid or actions shots.

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Of course, you try to make all your weekends great.
Right?!