
Yep, time for another high school reunion. Has it really been 20 years since we had the BIGGEST bangs in the west? Yes, it has and I have the white hairs to show for it! The last reunion, 10 years ago, I played a large role in planning the logistics, but this year I handed the baton to a few of my classmates because living in Georgia and doing a PhD does not facilitate reunion planning. While I was

a little reluctant to hand it over, I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Friday night became a drunken debauchery at
Fado's Irish Bar, right across the street from Coors Field in downtown Denver. I stayed with my dear friends, Deb and Owen who now live in New York, in a hotel downtown. Thus, no need to stay sober and plenty of reason to do some "planking"

on Denver's pedestrian mall (see photo). It was nice catching up with the group of women that I mostly hung out with during the four wild and crazy years at
Rangeview high school; we called ourselves the Party Brat Pack (PBP's). The group of guys, the "Bushmen", that we hung out had not really changed either. Like the PBP's they all still hang

out together and live close by each other in Denver. Most of my dear friends from high school have children, a bachelor's degree, have never traveled out of the country, and some are married while others are divorced. I am the over-educated, child-less, wayfaring outlier in the group and the questions asked were rather comical, "How do you fund your travels and your life?" "What is it like to still be a student in your 30's?" "What does a typical day look like for you?" "I hear you have a boyfriend, what does he look like?" And, then there were some individuals that did not

even ask questions--I think it is because my life has taken such a different path I am not sure they knew what to ask. So, instead we rehashed high school memories (driving backwards, building the homecoming float, and epic house parties). The second night was hosted at the fancy
Mountain Ranch Bar & Grille, overlooking Coors Field. This night was a little more mellow with dinner and dancing. We got back to the hotel at 1 a.m., which allowed for 2 hours of sleep before I had to catch the Super Shuttle to the airport...onto the next adventure in Canada!
1 comment:
Sounds like you had a great time reuniting with HS friends. You have definitely out-traveled your classmates filling your life with a great amount of experiences and knowledge. How about a book some day?
Post a Comment