Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Happy (early) Thanksgiving...Helsinki, Finland Style!

In the past five years, I have spent many turkey days without my family, Norway in 2006, Atlanta in 2010, and now this year in Helsinki. Guess what happens when you gather a group of American Fulbrighters for a traditional Thanksgiving meal in Finland? You have a feast!! Since many of us were in Helsinki for the Parliament and museum visit, a Thanksgiving dinner evolved as part of the weekend of events. The potluck included, of course, one plump and golden turkey (that, by the way, was carved by the vegetarian--Charlie!) We also had beet salad, lingonberry sauce (a Finnish twist to the American cranberry sauce), homemade zucchini bread, green salad, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, steamed brussel sprouts, baked yams, green peas, and apple cobbler. No pumpkin pie simply because it is impossible to find canned pumpkin in this country. Although early, it was a really nice way to celebrate Thanksgiving.



3 comments:

bnsweimer@gmail said...

That was certainly quite a feast. Looks like Charlie trimmed the turkey and did a great job of it. It is good to celebrate Thanksgiving more than once a year, especially with friends.

About Me said...

Yes, I was rather impressed with my superboyfriend's turkey carving skills. More than twice a year? Well, I think this may be the only Thanksgiving meal that we experience this year. Charlie has to work on Thursday--no days off here. We are, however, hosting a dinner party on Saturday, but instead of a Thanksgiving meal we are developing a Mexican fiesta --complete with Mama Weimer's chicken enchiladas.

bnsweimer@gmail said...

Can't have Mexican without Chicken enchiladas. Tamales are great, also. I have never made them. I buy them already made. Enjoy!!!!!