Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Garden of Weeds...

We have discovered that if left unattended for more than two days our sweet little garden plot quickly turns into a garden of weeds. Yep, those pesky weeds love to root in and take over. So, these days we spend most of our time in the garden weeding and then watering (oh, and mosquito swatting). The mosquitoes are also getting thick these days. The garden plot is very close to a lush creek bed, so it is the perfect place for mosquito love making and breeding.
Woohoo, lettuce!
We have both named an old pair of jeans the "garden jeans" and we wear long sleeve shirts to combat some of the biting. But, there is nothing better than spraying some of that deet bug juice (our chosen garden cologne...mmmmm, smells yummy--not!)

Superhusband chillin' and weedin'!
I know, I know you do not want to know about the weeds and mosquitoes (even though they do suck up the majority of our gardening energy these days). What about the veggies? Right, well, we do have some positive growth in the lettuce region (see photo) and also in the dill section of our garden. Oh, and the beans and peas are growing like weeds. Although one of our fellow gardeners stopped by to admire our plot and said, "Oh, the rabbits really like those!"  We will see how long they last before Bugs Bunny devours our beautiful curly green peas. In the fail department: arugula, mint, and spinach (oh well, it was worth a try!)

2 comments:

Mama Weimer said...

Charlie looks like he might not be enjoying the weed pulling. I recall doing that same job when I was living on the ranch as a kid. Those mosquitoes really do make weed pulling more challenging. Hopefully the rabbits enjoy greens somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

Now that I've seen Charlie in his red fleece - I'm pretty sure we've walked by you guys a kajillion times and thought Charlie was a different friend of ours! :)