 |
| Kyssäkaali=Kohlrabi cabbage. |


Our new apartment is about two blocks away from the summer farmer's market. Everyday I ride my bike to campus I pass by the market checking for new vendors and scanning the prices on strawberries. This morning before Charlie went to work we stopped by the market to grab a little breakfast: for me a crepe with fresh strawberries and tea and for Charlie a "pulla" (Finnish pastry with cardamon) and coffee for Charlie. Besides the lovely breakfast today we SCORED! A visiting German vendor (who now lives in Italy) was selling his Tuscan lemon olive oil and the delectable Finnish strawberries (that are all the rage in the summer months) were on sale. Yes!
Our Finnish friends educated us to watch the prices on strawberries and when they dip under
€20 then it is time to buy, slice, and freeze. I kissed Charlie goodbye and bought a 5kg (11lb) box of honey strawberries for an affordable
€19.90 (and a 1/2 liter of blueberries, lemon olive oil, kohlrabi cabbage, and peppers).
 |
| Strawberries ready to freeze! |
I asked the strawberry saleswoman if I needed to wash them before eating/freezing them and she said, "Oh no! Finnish strawberries are natural and you never need to wash them." Nice! On this Finnish summer evening, we ate and sliced strawberries until the box was empty.
1 comment:
Love it!!!!! Oh, such beautiful fruit and veggies. The two of you have been busy. Charlie, it is good to see you helping. I know that you do help in the kitchen, a lot. I don't see Bob doing that, unless I asked him to help. Do they have good peaches there? You can slice them and add frozen orange juice and freeze. Fresh as when you bought them. Yummy!
Post a Comment