Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

W-I-N-T-E-R!

You know WINTER is coming to OSLO, when:
1.) You walk by the Olympic training center (5 minutes from my door) and they are turning an asphalt field into an ice-field. See pictures. There was a dude riding in the back of this golf cart spraying an ice solution all over the asphalt. Quite a sight!
2.) You look for a Halloween pumpkin and all you find is Christmas marsipan. Norwegians take Christmas serious, they start preparing in October!!
3.) You turn your clock back one hour and it snows the next.
4.) You dress in layers...tank top, long sleeve shirt, sweater, fleece, scarf, down coat, gloves...or else you FREEZE!
5.) There is a blizzard as well as the first snow on HALLOWEEN!


6.) They invented crampons for people that live in Oslo...they don't believe in throwing rocks or salt on the icy walkways.

5 comments:

jules luvs lattes said...

The lake...that beautiful lake! I'm sooo glad I got the opportunity to walk around it and truly take in the colors, the fog and the smell of wet leaves....then up to the huts for an amazing blueberry muffin...and a trollup through the mud!

Anonymous said...

Dude! Bobby's costume is amazing. MORE COWBELL!!!

bnsweimer@gmail said...

Where's the snow? Ice is great for skating, but snow is needed for skiing.

Anonymous said...

guess, what we have a pair of those walking crampons and I am going to use them today to walk up to 'the hut' with Hunter, there is not enough snow for snowshoes, but it is icy in parts. First time on the crampons for me, here it goes. . . .

About Me said...

I think I need crampons...