Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Anti-American Sentiment!

Did you know Wikipedia has a page on Anti-Americanism? There are some people around the world that demean & degrade Americans because they don't agree with the U.S. politics, power and/or culture. The U.S. culture in the eyes of some Europeans is a depiction of what they watch on TV & movies. Imagine if we lived our life like Sex in the City, Gilmore Girls, The Bold & the Beautiful (soap opera), Sopranos, Prisonbreak or Desperate Housewives? But this is what they see, this is how they view our day-to-day life. I don't know how many of my friends here have said, "Oh yeah, I love Sex in the City," and I reply..., "Do you think that is how we live?" Perplexed, they answer..."well, that is what we see." So, basically some think American's are wealthy, gun-totin', spouse-cheatin', prom queen's who wear stilettos, sleep with the gardener and love war. Since I am American, I am lucky enough to be a target for this type of anti-American sentiment. Last night I was asked, "Does every American own a gun?" "Do you think tobacco or guns are worse?" "If 51% of the American people didn't vote for Bush, why aren't the American people protesting?" One guy said, "Holland is turning into the U.S. because high-schools now have metal-detectors." "Americans are stupid, haven't you seen those shows where they ask people on the street to point to China on a map?" "Why do you call yourself American...because there are other Americans...latin, central, south, and this is just further proof of the U.S. arrogance. You should call yourself North American."

So, how do I respond? Well, I'm still trying to figure that one out...but I have learned that I am super-sensitive to these types of degrading conversations, because I know how stereotypes, prejudices and assumptions can be dangerous. This is all very confusing to me, as I am caught in a crossfire...I am proud to be an American because of the quality of life we live but on the other side I am ashamed of our foreign policies and our global greed. I have never wanted to strip myself of my American identity...until now! Should I be defending my country?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt a lot of the same sentiments when my family moved from USA to Canada when I was a teenager. So, the proximity obviously didn't/doesn't help because Canadians still have lots of stereotypes and ignorant views of Americans. HOWEVER, as much as I am fond of my 7yrs in USA, there is some truth to a lot of these stereotypes. Surely media portrayals have a lot to do with this, but for all the foreigners I've met who base their views of US largely on media / pop culture, I can also cite an equal number who have visited/met/lived/worked with Americans and still have quite negative views to tell me. The more I travel outside of N.America, the more I meet foreigners who fall into this latter group of first-hand experience with America/Americans and still very critical. In such situations, I'm lost for words because I don't want to devalue someone's personal experience. I guess one could only point out the need to refrain from stereotyping...but we ALL stereotype.

I think generalizations and patriotism both run on a continuum. As someone who has spent a formative part of his life in USA, I'm not thrilled with these negative stereotypes; however I've also never felt "proud" of America as you and many other Americans do. My feelings are quite neutral but it is increasingly harder and harder to defend against these stereotypes given the socio-political climate in US today.

I'll stop rambling. What I am happy for is that you're having an opportunity to spend some time outside US to see/hear what people think of USA and also to examine it yourself from the outside. This is one of the BEST things about going abroad!

bnsweimer@gmail said...

You damn right you should defend America. Most people who put down America would give anything to come and live here and take advantage of the freedoms we have. We do not always agree with what our government does, but as
Americans we live free and are not ruled by a dictator or ruler who tells us what to do and puts limitations on how we live. A few give the US a bad reputation. One must choose to look at the individual and judge for themselves the value of the person they are viewing.

Anonymous said...

We care about what we do believe in . We believe that our ideologies are right for others. We do believe that our norms and values can protect ourselves and help the others, we have to hold firmly our beliefs and expand them to our friends. Many lives through bullets have never been an experience for us until one day we realize that it has been wrong to did such thing. But when that time comes, things start stepping on its own history again. And it has become too late for us because we are too ole and less powerful to correct our mistakes and tell new generations about our lessons.

Wxfix said...

Be glad your an American with a voice that counts regardless of whether its popular or not. Remember that millions immigrated from Europe to America so they had a voice and a future. They helped make America what it is today an open society that allows you to be either on the left or the right.

Anonymous said...

I have been to many countries around the world, and this I know - the USA has the hottest women in the world. Nuff said.

bnsweimer@gmail said...

Just another thought...When other countries, large or small, need aid or assistance the US is the first to come to their assistance. We as Americans support those needs wholeheartedly and many Americans go above and beyond to help which is the American spirit.

Ali said...

I guess that is a very difficult and complex topic. I was there and watched the tomatoes being thrown. Leasa, you should defend your country, and be proud of your culture. You became who you are because of it and I guess you also been helping to build it yourself.
Media could be the one to be blamed for, if you are looking for someone to blame after all these verbal "aggressions" you have been going through since we got in here last semestre.
However, I am a foreigner from a Third World country, and is very hard for me to separate all the facts, images and memeories we have had, exactly for having no power and end up somehow watching the world moves around in all its aspects (social, political, eco...)and then sit and wait until we as a voiceless society are "allowed" to move.
It seems to me that this very country of internal opportunities and freedom has presented itself externally as an oppressive nation. It sounds so bloody contrastive! This very feeling of being constantly just a "viewer" of what's gonna be the next step of the great nation brings this big question of "why and how can one nation, theoretically equal to any other one, with its people, society, culture, problems, stand up and decide what is the best for the rest of us? Why do we (non-US citizens) ever think we have to watch all US decisions and then place ours afterwards? This is what happens in Brazil. For example: you watch the stock market in NY, because thats how ours is stablished; we see all the speeches from Bush, our news are 60% about the agreements US has leaded and the wars... and then a bomb falls in bloody Mid-east and then you can expect pries of rice, flour, oil, tomatoes, petrol, all of them get at least 3% more exensive in the following week. How come, considering we are self-sustainable in petrol, crops and we are the ones who actually export rice and tomatoes???
I guess that just the thinking of an answer for this is what makes people so aggressive because is quite hard to find one. The easiest way out is to act as an ignorant and let the TV answer for you. No rationality, just the blood boiling inside.
I am still on the wall and can't make up my mind, I am sorry. I wish I could understand. The US is a big question mark for me. But I see here that you are so very understanding and tolerant on the topic. It gives people the chance to keep going on their narrow toughts, cos you seem to agree! You will learn to put people back to their places, luv... ;)
luv ya x

laurita said...

It's not because I feel that the U.S. is right. That's a completely different issue. In order to have a peaceful political discussion, questions have to be asked. One must know who they are talking to and why they are talking to that particular person. Assuming that I, as an American, fit into a particular category based on something as stupid as the Bold and the Beautiful** is not only shallow, but completely inappropriate. Individual Americans can't be expected to defend the tobacco industry, the supporters of the right to bare arms, or the invasion of Iraq. Whether I understand where it comes from or not, a prejudice is a prejudice and it’s wrong. Prejudices are wrong because they escalate hate and anger. A discussion requires listening and insightful questions. I think your friend had neither, and was way out of line. Discussions, and genuine interest in understanding each other, however, are important and can lead us to peace.

I like to write to my senators (http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm), my representatives (http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml), and to the president himself (http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/) when I get frustrated with American politics. Anyone from any country is welcome to join me. I even have my senators’ numbers programmed into my cell phone. I get a lot of funny looks when offer it to people who need to vent their frustrations. Their words, as well as mine, are accepted by my elected officials. Even if they don’t agree, my senators take my calls and someone reads my letters. It’s important for them to know what their voters want and it’s possible that I can change their minds. Everyone is welcome to participate.

**Just for the record, I had never heard of the Bold and the Beautiful until I came to Europe.

Anonymous said...

bnsweimer@gmail said...
You damn right you should defend America. Most people who put down America would give anything to come and live here and take advantage of the freedoms we have. We do not always agree with what our government does, but as
Americans we live free and are not ruled by a dictator or ruler who tells us what to do and puts limitations on how we live. A few give the US a bad reputation. One must choose to look at the individual and judge for themselves the value of the person they are viewing.


I dont know who you are aiming at but as far as I know there are not a lot of countries in Europe with dictators or anything like that... I dont know about other places but I think Europeans are free as well, I just find it strange that when so many people in the US are against the war in Iraq why your president doesnt listen, of course not just all of a sudden take all your troops out of there, that would be worse but why send in more troops...
I love the US and most Americans I know, but I just dont agree how your current president is handling your business...

Like you say in that post:
A few give the US a bad reputation. One must choose to look at the individual and judge for themselves the value of the person they are viewing.

I think Bush is the one that gives most people outside of the US the bad view of the States... and I have to believe that he is quite important...
Americans we live free and are not ruled by a dictator or ruler who tells us what to do and puts limitations on how we live.
Then why are there so few places in the US where gay people can't get married...

it also amazes me when I speak to people from the States on forums or just chatting, how few they sometimes know about what is really going on...


I absolutely respect your soldiers who do their absolute best to go everywhere, but again I dont always like how they are being used sometimes... like why they are being sent to some places etc, but that is not something that the soldiers themselves have anything to do with.




I really like the US and most of the people i've met from the States though, even though I dont always agree with the top guys there, and if I would want to move there it's not because then I would be free or something like that, but I can understand that there are people from some places in the world that would be more free when they would go there or to Europe