Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Life of a Yogini!


A 'yogini' is a female "having a steadfast mind cultivated by the disciplined pursuit of transcendence through Yoga." I guess I can call myself a yogini seeing how I spend about 13 hours (no joke) a day eating, drinking, living, practicing, studying the intricate fibers of yoga, pranayama (breath), and meditation here at the Shoshoni mountain ashram. I am in a level one yoga teacher training program with 12 others from around the country. The intensity of the progam has lent itself to many ups and downs including some profound inner awareness and an achy back from all of those seated meditations. This experience has unequivocally solidified my love for yoga and deepened my practice (especially the barefoot temple dancing with yellow umbrellas). Here is a taste of our daily schedule:
5:30-7 a.m. Personal yoga practice/meditation

7 a.m. Vegetarian breakfast

8-9:30 a.m. Workshop on yoga philosophy

9:30-10 a.m. Shower or study time

10 a.m.-noon Yoga class/pranayama

noon-1 p.m. Vegetarian lunch

1-4:30 p.m. Workshop on yoga postures

4:30-5:30 p.m. Yoga class

5:30-7 p.m. Vegetarian dinner

7-8 p.m. Temple (chanting & meditation)

8-10 p.m. Study time or sauna/hot-tub

10 p.m. Bedtime!

2 comments:

bnsweimer@gmail said...

Vigorous schedule, but with all the vegetarian meals you should have energy to excel. Now why wasn't your sister with you? Oh, she only lasted one day a couple years ago and said "That's it". Now what's up with that?

About Me said...

Julie will never be a yogini. She is a firegini instead. Plus, this yoga lifestyle is not for everyone and I can completely respect that.