Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Love (and dancing) from Bloomington

Indiana was quite an intense week of learning the cha-cha slide (don't worry if you don't know what this is...just click on the link and get your dancin' shoes on), living in a sorority house with 55 college students, averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night, and re-entering the U.S. higher education system. I-LEAD is a 6 day live-in, learning leadership institute for U.S. college student leaders from around the nation. There are three components to the institute: large group sessions, small group sessions, and reflection. Myself and one of my dear colleagues, Joseph, served as the lead facilitators for the large group sessions. This was not my first time facilitating I-LEAD, actually I have been involved in the summer institute since 2003, therefore it was a nice sense of familiarity from day 1. I-LEAD has a curriculum that is practical yet challenging. We facilitated sessions on ethics, leadership styles, values, and vision, and diversity. It never fails...no matter how hot and humid it is in Bloomington...the students still find the love by the end of the institute where group hugs and dancing are commonplace. PHOTOS: the facilitation team (TOP), student skit and facilitator skit...there were a lot of these! (BOTTOM TWO).

No comments: