Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Re-entry into the American Culture!


Today it hit!!! After 2 weeks home, it feels like it is time to jump back on a plane and fly back to Europe. WHAM...reality! The reality is that I'm not going back to Europe and this re-entry process back into my own culture is more difficult than I thought it would be. After living abroad for 2 years I see my culture and the place I call home from a different perspective. I understand how others (non-Americans) view our culture, materialism, and extreme reliance on and privilege to have earth's resources. I have become very judgemental of my own culture and this is a difficult one to navigate. The last thing I want to become is an anti-American American!
So, I have slowly begun to process through all of this craziness: oil addiction rush hour, American cultural faux pas, the stressful lifestyle, biased (and ignorant) media, and the fast (and otherwise unhealthy) pace.

The redeeming part of being home is reconnecting with my friends. My friends are supportive and it's been great catching up with everyone...albeit a little draining as it is hard to put words to these 2 years of being gone. My friends live all over Colorado so driving is part of the journey of reconnecting with everyone. My days consist of driving...driving to the grocery store, driving to Boulder (where most of my friends live), driving to Aurora (where my parents live), driving to Denver (where other friends live), driving to Littleton (more friends), driving, driving, driving. I sure do miss the public transportation in Europe!

2 comments:

Jo said...

I think I understand you, I have some of the same relationship to Norway as you feel now. But then again, nobody's asking you to be an Anti-American American, but it is legal to be chritical and state this, isn't it? I mean, you have learned and seen other things and other ways, and that is okay to bring with you for the rest of your travel in life. Isn't that the way to make the world better? That we take the good things we experience, and try to change our society accordingly?

bnsweimer@gmail said...

Your first journey is over, but never forgotten. To put your feet down again and begin the next part of your journey will only make your last journey more complete. This month plus will feel like you are in "jet lag". We knew it would be an adjustment.