Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

School Update #1: Classes

Someone asked me yesterday why I have not posted anything about the classes I am taking this semester. So, here goes.

Neoliberal University (3 credit hours): My major adviser, Sheila Slaughter, teaches this course which means I get to put on my critical lens and deconstruct policy. Ever since the President Reagan and Margaret Thatcher era, the political economy has moved towards a neoliberal agenda (free markets, privatization, competition). In this class we analyze how the neoliberal agenda permeates higher education. Class discussion/debate is sure to wake you up. The best part of this class is that many of the readings focus on the European dimension of higher education and we even have a voice from Europe. Berit Karseth, a visiting faculty member from the University of Oslo, participates in class. We have a final paper (20 pages) and presentation of which I will be analyzing the Erasmus Mundus policy discourse.

History of American Higher Education (3 credit hours): First of all I must say one of my favorite professors, Dr. Dyer, teaches this course, so it has got to be GOOD! History is considered to be a rite of passage for our program. Despite the enormity of reading, I have found the material fascinating. We started with the Medieval European universities (Oxford!), and have moved through the Colonial ages, Antebellum era, and now we are in the 20th century. Although the literature focuses on the South, I have done my own curious work on the side to learn about the history of Colorado higher education. The course grade is dependent upon class presentations on readings, participation in class discussion, and a final research paper (20-30 pages) on a history topic of choice. I am researching the conception and development of the UGA at Oxford study abroad program, which allows me to spend countless hours in the library archives.

Independent Study (3 credit hours): I am working with one of the new junior faculty members, Erik Ness, he is about my age and our academic interests come together with policy analysis techniques. He used the same theoretical framework (garbage can theory/multiple streams) on his dissertation that I used in my Masters thesis. Hence, it has been nice returning to policy theory, yet it has made me realize that my thesis only skimmed the surface of policy analysis. An independent study is based upon readings/books and assignments agreed on by both the student and faculty member. The assignments include a conference paper (30 pages) based upon findings from my thesis, an annotated bibliography featuring European articles that employ different policy analysis techniques, and I am reviewing a book, Policy Paradox, by Deborah Stone. All good stuff and enjoyable!

Fingers crossed...this will be the last full semester of coursework. Next up: comps! More on that later.

2 comments:

Mama Weimer said...

Better you than me!!!! Sounds like you have some paper-writing and book reading to do before the end of this semester. I can see that you will be busy, but you have only about a month left and than you can put on your traveling shoes. Woo yoo!!!!!!

About Me said...

Yeah, the last month of classes is always crazy with the rush to finish final papers. I suppose it is getting easier...at least now I have mastered the art of procrastination and how to whip out a 20 page paper in one week. Woohoo...Colorado in one month.