Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Another SNOW day...turned into a rain day!

TO: Faculty, Staff and Students

The University of Georgia will close as of 2 p.m. today, Tuesday, March 2, 2010.

Ahhh, you gotta love an email like this, especially when you have a history of higher education class at 2 p.m. Woohoo! But, this snow day does not even compare to the snow day one year ago when over 6 inches fell on Athens, Georgia. Actually, this snow day was rather disappointing...the wet snow melted immediately as it hit the ground. Then, at 4 p.m. the snow turned to rain, bummer! Oh well...I cannot complain. I love snow and I love when a flurry of snowflakes shuts down a city. Charlie and I were enjoying a sushi lunch when we heard the news that the university was shutting down. So, we made our way to a nearby coffee shop and on the way a local photographer shot our footprints in the slush (see photo on left). I did not have my camera with me, but the photo on the right, also shot by the local newspaper--Athens Banner Herald--just had to be posted. Welcome to the South where snowflakes shut down the city and Confederate flags still fly.

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

Hard to believe the city shuts down with a little snow. CDOT in Denver is quick to clear our streets and highways. Only a blizzard shuts things down. That would be when there is wind and one cannot see beyond the hood of your vehicle. I, also, love snow. Shoveling is not even all that bad. It is good exercise.