Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Adventure Day 2: Hiking & Safari


We started the day at 6:15 a.m. with a typical hostel breakfast at the Afrovibe adventure lodge: cereal, milk, toast, jelly, butter, and juice and coffee. We boarded the truck and headed to the beautiful Knysna Heads (photo to right) where the salt water meets the fresh water. After a brief morning hike, we found ourselves at the next adventure: zip-lining over small waterfalls. As much as I like to zip-line, I did not throw down the 350 Rand (US$50), as I could not rationalize spending the money to go zip-lining again. (In March, I zip-lined in the Costa Rican cloud forest...it does not get any better than that!) After the students flew through the sky and the rain began to fall...we were on our way to the next adventure: a safari in Addo Elephant National Park. A two-hour night drive proved to be quite soggy, cold, photo-less and adventurous. We did, however, see scrub hare, black topped jacquel, and a family of elephant (with babies). Our evening in the park ended with a girls dance party (in my room...yes, I instigated it!)

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

So frugal! No ziplining. I would have made the same choice. Sounds like you had plenty of other adventures.