Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.
Friday, June 08, 2012
"Foreigners in Jyväskylä" Facebook Mania
Since I will no longer be traveling to conduct interviews I will be in Jyväskylä more regularly. Thus, I have decided to pour myself into the local community. I met a Canadian woman who is also living in Jyväskylä and we decided to start a Facebook group for other international adventurers living here. The aim of the FB group is to exchange information in English on news, events, and random tid-bits of information. It has been a great success so far. In just two weeks 60 people signed up and there has already been a wealth of information posted that I had no idea about. Yeah for FB and the wonderful (and wild) world of social networking! I already feel more connected to what is going on. The language can be a very big barrier for those unable to read, speak, write in Finnish (or those of us who are slowly learning the language). (In my opinion, living in Finland is not as easy as living in a country native in the Romance languages, i.e. Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, etc. because the Finnish language is just so different and difficult.) So, hopefully this will help others as they settle into life here.
Labels:
Finland
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This is a great idea and by the numbers that have joined it looks like everyone will benefit.
Post a Comment