.gif) |
| Julia with her dad, Timo. |
.gif) |
| Trying to look like a Finnish HS graduate. |
.gif)
I have adopted a younger Finnish sister ...her name is Julia and
she graduated from high school this weekend. Her parents threw a big
graduation party for her (over 40 people stopped by over a course of 7
hours). While I was the only non-Finn present, I had a nice time experiencing one big Finnish party. It started at 1 p.m. in the afternoon and I presume they closed down the party when Julia was to meet her friends in the city center at 8 p.m. The party was open-house style, with people coming and going. Papa Timo cooked up a delicious minestrone soup, a chicken pizza dish (I am pretty sure that is not what they call it, but it is the best way to describe it to Non-Finns), with salad and other munchies. Mama Anne and her mother baked five cakes (yes, five!) and were non-stop working in the kitchen--washing dishes, serving coffee and tea. When someone graduates from high school in Finland, it is very traditional to give a rose to the graduate. Julia received over three dozen fresh roses and some other special gifts (Finnish design housewares, etc.) It is also very typical for guests to give money to the graduate. Oh, and one very important detail: the graduate also wears a special hat (see photos of Julia and me) that looks like a white sailor hat. Congratulations, Julia!
.gif) |
| Julia and Mama Anne with some of the gift roses. |
1 comment:
Leasa, you finally got to experience that white hat even to wear it for a short time. Sounds like quite the party for a graduating student. She surely enjoyed it.
Post a Comment