Monday, July 2, 2012 will go down in history; it is the day I began writing my PhD dissertation. Thirteen days later I turned in a first draft of chapter two to my PhD adviser. 22 pages in 13 days=not bad. I have come to realize that the dissertation writing phase is a solo time for just you, your brain, and your computer. There is no prescription for writing a dissertation, as everyone is different and we all come upon our own writing rhythm. Sure, books giving advice on dissertation writing are helpful (I have about five of them bedside), but not foolproof. Here is what I have come to know in my short writing period:
1.) I need a minimum of three hours to really get "into" writing and then go loopy after about five hours of writing. Time for a break.
2.) Breaks need to include some sort of total mind-numbing/physical activity (running, riding my bike, yoga, watching a romantic comedy, cooking dinner, etc.)
3.) Writing everyday is good and it keeps you moving forward, but for me I need at least one day/every week that takes me completely away from everything and anything related to my dissertation.
4.) Sometimes it takes 10 minutes to get into the writing groove, other days it can take many hours of poking around the internet (Facebook, Gmail, blogs, etc.) before I am ready to write. I have come to accept this and not resist it. For me, it is how my mind gears up for writing.
5.) Focusing in on one chapter at a time is the only way I can think right now. When I think about the totality of the project it is overwhelming and self-defeating.
6.) Setting deadlines is important! My adviser told me straight up that setting deadlines is not her job, so it falls on me. I have set a tentative schedule (let's see how it goes). The first target has been met, (yeah for me!)
7.) It is important to find the right space to write. There are three places where I feel most comfortable writing: my office, the library, and our home office. Anywhere else--forget about it.
8.) Oh yeah, you must save your work and back it up. Very important! Dropbox (an online share folder for documents, photos, etc.) is rocking my world right now. Every day I save the newest draft to dropbox which I can access from all three locations where I write. I back it up every so often on my laptop and my work computer.
9.) Tracking progress...for me every little word gives me steam to keep moving forward. So, I have found that tracking my word count every day gives me a sense of accomplishment. Yeah, excel spreadsheet and all--I am a nerd!
10.) Having a superhusband who went through the same process makes the experience so much easier. In his words, "Just keep the ball moving forward" (he is a football nut and it comes out when he offers words of wisdom.)
Gotta go! Time to get back on the saddle...


1 comment:
Sounds like you have the right attitude which we know you do everything by notes and planning sheets. Keep up the great dedication and work and your goal will be met. Sounds like your professor feels you are progressing in a very positive direction. Breaks are great to help your body and mind relax. Thank goodness for yoga, bike rides and walks. Exercise definitely stimulates the brain. Go girl!!!!!!!
Post a Comment