Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Monday, August 14, 2006


DIVERSITY TRAINING 101! Yep, I am officially getting culturefied! So, I live with 7 others in a flat (a.k.a. apartment). There is a locked door to get in the apartment and then I share a suite (another locked door) with a very nice Chinese woman who is studying Economics. Just the two of us share a bathroom and she is clean, thank goodness! Then, there is yet another locked door to enter my humble abode, a simple bedroom with a nice picture window and a bed, bookcase, table and chair. I am working to spice it up and those laminated photos sure are helping! I am quite impressed with the living quarters here...the room is very clean and the furniture is much nicer than the furniture at CU. I also live with 2 African men, one is a botanist PhD candidate from Zimbabwe and the other is a Biology PhD candidate from Ethiopia. Last night I said, "In America, we would call you 'smart cookies'" and they got the biggest kick out of that. I also live with a Norwegian punk rocker. No joke! He is too cool for words and will be moving out this week to pursue his rockstar lifestyle. He even gave me a CD...insert video of Leasa dancing around to some Norge punk music...SWEET! Then, we have the 2 Polish men. There is an older gentleman (50's) and his nephew (20's). I think they are living in Krinsja student village illegally because neither of them go to the Uni and we are only allowed to have 1 person per room. I am still trying to figure them out. They are one big tornado in the kitchen and cook up some very interesting hot-plates without cleaning up after themselves. Yes, the kitchen is where all of our worlds collide into one big mess, including crumbs on the floor, week-old dishes in the sink and piles of trash. Good thing I like challenges...we are having a flat-meeting this week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leasa, sound like you have some pretty cool suite-mates! I can totally see you dancing around to Norge punk with the DKNY deodorant keeping you cool (and odor free!). Miss ya! Lance.

Anonymous said...

Leasa,

Well you jumped right off the cliff and found yourself in NORGELAND. I hope you are finding all the fun spots and getting out on the hiking trails around Oslo. It's so much fun to just hike around the city and stop at the the cafes on the trail. Isn't it a cool city with all the water and surrounding mountains, so many things to do and the country side is so wonderful. If you can head up to the Hollmenkollen if you have a chance. That's fun place to check out as well as Vigeland Park and see the "Crying Baby" and all the other great sculptures.

Hvordan er Deres Norweigan?

Tar vare på Dem,

Mark

Anonymous said...

Your room looks sweeeeet. Love the red. You're so on the "Real World" right now. Let us know how the house meeting goes. Christy P