Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Sunday, August 20, 2006



A rather SOGGY day in OSLO...yes, it rains in Oslo. In fact, it rains a lot in Oslo. However, people are still active regardless of the weather. I quite like it. Yesterday I met up with Jessica, a Fulbright from Minnesota. We had e-mailed each other before coming to Oslo and it was very nice to finally meet up in person and tour around the city. She is married to a Norwegian and lived in Boulder for a short period of time, so we have a lot in common. She even has curly locks. We decided to purchase some rubber boots to combat the soggy streets of Oslo (see photos). We paid 99 kroner=$16US and they are sassy to boot.

These boots are made for walking & that's just what they'll
do!"

We walked about 5 miles in these rubbers. We even got to experience a nearly naked viking man in the coffee shop. It was quite funny. His buddies were taking him around the city for some "bachelor party" antics. They were nice enough to have a blanket for him in the rainy conditions, but that didn't take away the "shrinkage" effect. Ha, ha!

As our rubber boots made it to the pier, we stumbled upon an international festival, where we got a FREE henna tatoo. FREE is always a good word in Oslo where everything is so expensive. We were happy to find a FREE symphony concert on this huge stage that was actually a large boat that pulled into the pier. Sorry dad, you missed out on this one!!!

Today is sunny & I have finally found a cafe with wireless. Woohoo! No internet in my room yet, hopefully this week! Classes start tomorrow and I have been busy reading the literature which I am finding quite fascinating. I am excited and ready to get a routine in order with my classes, studies, travel, workouts, etc. I plan to join the Uni's gym (about $100US for the entire semester). They offer drop in aerobics and cycling, all in Norwegian, which will prove to be another experiment with the Norwegian language. Ciao for now...I'll write more about the classes, curriculum, etc. this next week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks like you are having an amazing time. I think you are destined for amazing things Ms. Weima! And I know you too will meet an amazing European man! I hope all is well and I appreciate you keeping everyone informed on your blog. I will be in touch.

Love Ya,
Ashley B

Anonymous said...

Sch-weet Boots!!! They suit you very well. Look at that!!! You've already met a Naked european man, the odds of you bringing home a nice european is looking good. (thumbs up!)

About Me said...

Ha, ha...Jenni you are a crack up! Of course I found myself a naked norge...would you expect anything less? I'm such a role-model, right?!