Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Friday, August 18, 2006


A SUNNY day at the SKI JUMP! Holmenkollen is the name of the Norwegian ski jump and it is about 10 subway stops from the center of Oslo. I have heard a great deal about this ski jump and you can see it glistening in the mountains as you are walking around town (click to enlarge the subway photo and you can see the ski jump up on the hill.) I was so excited to check it out because it is the most popular and well-respected sport in Norway, the Royal Family has been supporting this sport since the 1800's. It started back in the 1866 and since then the ski jump has continued to grow in length and height, it has been re-built 15 times.

What an incredible place to spend a sunny day. It was 60 kroner ($10) to enter and they have this incredbile ski museum with old ski's/boots/binding systems that date back to the 1800's. I knew I would spend a good deal of time here, so I didn't ask anyone to come along. Plus, I haven't met anyone who is as passionate about skiing as I am and I didn't want to bore anyone. I brought along my books and studied at the cafe that overlooks the city of Oslo. It was truly a brilliant & sunny day!!!

No comments: