Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Monday, August 28, 2006


American BASHING!
Forget the classroom...many of my ah-ha moments are happening in my flat at the dinner table. I have a group of flat-mates that aren't afraid to speak their mind and voice their opinion on Bush, how the western world has stripped culture from many countries, how American politics are based on money and just how much they think American domination sucks. It is quite concerning and refreshing all at the same time...and I'm trying very hard not take it personal. I would rather have the people I live with be real and speak their mind, but it is hard to hear how much foreigners hate the American power. I want to defend it, but I can't, as I am perplexed at all of the variables of why America has it's hand in the Arab and African world. As I listen to these perspectives, I have to ask, why don't we hear these perspectives in America? Let me answer my own question...I believe that we all live in our comfortable worlds and don't even bother to read the international section of the newspaper. I am the first to admit to this...but now, believe me I am reading the Herald Tribune, I am watching the BBC World news and I'm listening to the perspectives of others who live around the world. It is truly fascinating how naive we have become as a nation when it comes to world politics. However, I have to give props to a few of my dear friends in the great land of the free...as I know there are a few of you who pride yourself on keeping up with the world happenings.

The best part about this experience is that after a heated dialogue about politics my flat-mates and I can eat Norwegian ice cream together and laugh together and be together much like a family unit.

Photos: My building in Krinsja! The other photo is my name on the door telephone to my building. For some reason, they think my middle name, Marie, is my first name.
The last photo is a quintessential European telephone booth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often joke that Canda has 2 national pastimes:

#1 Hockey
#2 American Bashing

I lived in USA for 7yrs and Canada for 14yrs. I have to say I was quite disgusted by all the jokes that my Canadian high school teachers made about USA right in front of my face knowing that I was the new student from USA. I feel both Canadian and American. It doesn't bother me that people bash either country. But in an educational setting whereby the teacher is in an authoritative position, this amounts to abuse of power. They would never fathom making racist jokes in class. Yet jokes directed at nationality is OK?

Canada prides itself on multiculturalism, being open-minded, and how we are "not like the USA." Yet when you point out all the American bashing, Canadians don't quite get how that is related to multiculturalism or stereotypes. I love posing this question to Canadians. They either don't get it, dismiss it, or feel very uncomfortable :)

Anonymous said...

You *could* hear these perspectives, but I tend to keep those kinds of opinions to myself. I have a deep and involved explanation for American involvement in Asia and Africa and South America (beginning with the phrase, "Brown people"). Any time you want to hear it, let me know. :)

Hope Oslo is awesome. Miss you.

About Me said...

Chris, Please enlighten us with your "brown" theory. I'm all ears...I'm sure it will be different than the "money hungry" arguement I'm hearing here.

Jack and Jay! My canadian friends, I love beanie hats and words like "hoser, aye."

Anonymous said...

Don't believe them that all Americans are uninformed and alike. We are the original melting pot and will continue to be. It is all here to be heard and said if you are willing to listen and speak.

We are the land of freedom of speech and because we rotate our leadership every 4-8 years, we will likely, as individuals, not always be in agreement with our current leadership. I am not sure why other citizens would find this surprising when in every nation the government does not always believe or act as the indivudual would.

Ask them if they agree with every policy of their own government and if they would like to be judged as individuals based on that.