Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Faculty Don's Party

Everyone loves a good party! On Thursday, we hosted a reception for the Oxford faculty dons who work with the University of Georgia study abroad program. This meant that the alcohol ban in the common areas of the house were temporarily lifted and there was a lot of preparation to be done. This was the one big party that James and I was responsible for planning. The students helped buy, prepare, and of course eat the food. I must say the smorgasbord of American and British food was a great success...we prepared fruit trays, veggie trays, meat trays, a cheese platter, an antipasti platter, and we made banana bread, zucchini bread, guacamole, deviled eggs. A few extra special items were added to the mix: Belgium chocolates, fancy English biscuits, and a birthday cake for Katie. The mood was quite festive!

2 comments:

Mama Weimer said...

That looks like quite the spread!!!!! I'm sure a little wine added to the festivities. The Dons were honored by quite a great group of hosts and hostesses. What a great way to end a semester in Oxford.

About Me said...

Yeah, after a little wine I decided to take the students on a cheese tour around the world. We visited Greece, France, and the English countryside. It was a rather festive way to end the festivities.