Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Monday, November 30, 2009

EMA Meeting in Brussels: A table full of people from around the globe!

The European Commission has once again "hooked" me up with some free travel and international excitement. I was invited to represent the North American chapter of Erasmus Mundus alumni at an annual meeting in Brussels this past weekend. The meeting was for the Erasmus Mundus Student & Alumni Association (EMA) and we discussed everything from Chapter development to the goals and mission of the Association. Friday we met in the Madou Tower of the European Commission and I even had the pleasure of meeting the man, Vito Borrelli, a European Commission staff member who has been instrumental in the development of the Erasmus Mundus program. Here are a few moments to remember:

On Friday, I was in a packed elevator in the EC building and a European said, "The capacity says 16 people." Then, another European replied, "That means 16 Europeans and only 5 Americans." I tried to think of something witty on the spot and failed miserably as all I could muster up was a small laugh. Stereotypes are everywhere and unfortunately, there is some truth to this particular stereotype.

But, on a positive note as I was eating the delicious chocolate mousse at the Saturday dinner I looked around the dinner table and realized these are the moments I miss the most about living back in the U.S.: a table full of people from around the globe. I sat with my friends from Australia, Portugal, Pakistan, China, and Thailand. Dinner conversation just does not get any better than that!

No comments: