Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

London: Christmas Lights, Whole Foods & Procrastination!

I always love a spontaneous day trip to London...as I never really know what will come of it. This time, all I knew is that I had to be at a 5:30 p.m. talk at King's College. Otherwise, I could enjoy the day like the free-spirited traveler that I revel in.

In Oxford Circus, the holiday spirit was in full effect with large Christmas Carol signs and strings upon strings of lights dancing over the busy London streets. The big "light up" event just so happened to fall on the same night, so it made for some tube closures resulting in an hour and a half of wild tube adventures.

















I am a Whole Foods junkie! When I lived in Boulder, Whole Foods was my favorite hang-out. Okay, this may sound weird...since it is just a trendy, grocery store known for its organic food products, but in Boulder...Whole Foods is the place to be! It is an experience all on its own. So, when I saw Whole Food bags with "London" scrolled on them, I was on a mission to experience the London Whole Foods. Albeit not Boulder, it was a lovely place to enjoy my favorite Whole Foods lunch: chai with salad.

King's College is close to the London Bridge area, so I spent the remainder of my afternoon walking by the water and enjoying the HMS Belfast. That is a big mama boat! At 5:15 p.m. I found a comfy chair in the third row of the auditorium style classroom and tried to curtail my excitement for the speaker. Jorge Cham is a Stanford PhD who is the creator of the PhD comic strip: Piled Higher and Deeper. His comics bring the painful and not-so-funny PhD experiences to life with humor. I think I am becoming one of his cult followers...because he is able to put words and lightness to otherwise stressful situations like being detained at the UK immigration control simply because you said the words, "research". Anyway, his talk was great and he stressed that there is power in procrastination. What?! Not guilt? Great news, I have a new found love for procrastination. Let's see how long I can hold out before the guilt sets in like a big black cloud.






3 comments:

Kristen said...

Leasa!
Whole Foods! I don't know if this is the one you found but we went to one this summer in, I think, Kensington and it's gigantic! Multiple stories, so much food. I literally got lost. If you weren't at that one, find it! It's amazing!

About Me said...

Kristen, Great recommendation...my next day trip will include the Kensington Whole Foods store. I went to the Soho store and it was rather petite, nonetheless it was still a lovely oasis in the big city!

bnsweimer@gmail said...

So now procrastination has a positive purpose. I have never thought putting things off is good, but we all do it.

Whole Foods? I bet that did make your day and to think you missed the Kensington store.

Yes, All stores here are decorated with Christmas decor. What happened with Thanksgiving? I'm not past that yet.